I came across this lovely little tool that can also be used by adults at work, In my recent graduate school research for tools to help children with sensory integration disorders cope and be able to cope with the demands of sitting for long periods at school!
It is called an Exercise Disc or Balance Cushion and can be found on Amazon for the low price of only $13 (plus shipping which can be about $11). Also try this link for a $19.99 version with free shipping with Amazon Prime.
For small children with ADHD or sensory integration difficulties, sitting on this cushion can provide tactile stimulation to their brains to allow them to sit and focus on their schoolwork more easily. For more info on Sensory Processing or Integration dysfunction, check out the SPD website here.
But for adults in an office, sitting all day can be difficult not only for our minds, but for our bodies. Sitting on a small balance cushion like this can help you move frequently to retain your balance and makes you work your core muscles more to stabilize your body.
I’ve used this balance cushion for workouts to increase my stability muscles by standing on it, but I also find that sitting on it gives me some great tactile stimulation when I am focusing on boring tasks (like bookkeeping!) and helps improve my core muscle tone as well.
Try it out and let me know what you think!
Details about the $13 Balance Cushion from Isokinetics on the Amazon website:
- 14″ in diameter by 3″ high; low nubs on one side, raised nubs on the other
- Comes inflated and can be adjusted using a traditional ball inflation needle (needle and pump not included)
- Popularly used as a child’s “wiggle seat” to help calm anxious kids
- A true alternative to sitting on an exercise ball; made of the same material
- Provides an unstable surface to exercise on, requiring you to use more muscles to stay balanced, providing a more complete workout
Details about the $19.99 JFit Fit Disc balance Cushion on the Amazon website:
- Promotes core stability and strengthening
- Textured massage foot surface improves grip and comfort
- Anti-burst, can withstand up to 350 lbs.
- Inflatable with a standard ball needle and pump (included)
- Size: 13″ Diameter and 2 approximately 2″ in height.
- One side of the disc is smooth and the other is textured with grips that help to stabilize the disc on a chair or the floor, it can also offer a massage benefit and stimulate circulation on the feet.
- J/fit fit discs come in Blue, Black, Red and Purple.