By Sue Shekut, Owner, Working Well Massage, Licensed Massage Therapist, Certified Wellness Coach, ACSM Personal Trainer
One of the problems I run into, and many of my clients run into, is how to eat healthy “on the go.” I am a big fan of Lara Bars, “wraps” (tuna salad or hummus or even turkey in a pita or tortilla) and hot meals from Whole Foods. But for those of you that don’t have easy access to a Whole Foods hot bar, or even to healthy restaurants, Hungry-Girl has some great tips on how to start your day with a healthy and easy to prepare (read: quick to prepare!) breakfast. Note: Whole Foods Fat Free Tortillas are 100 calories and ZERO grams of fat.
And, not to sound like your mother, but remember, eating breakfast helps keep your brain and body well fueled AND can help you with a fat reduction program (if you are trying to lose adipose tissue).
Hungry-Girl recommends this Do-it-Yourself Smoothie recipe:
Combine fresh or no-sugar-added frozen fruit, light yogurt, and light soymilk (or Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Breeze — YUM!). Throw that stuff into the blender with some ice, and pulverize your way to breakfast!
I personally like to make my own Smoothie concoction:
Vanilla Rice Dream rice milk about 1 cup,
1 frozen banana,
a few (3) frozen strawberries or (10) blueberries and
a scoop of Jay Rob’s Egg White protean powder (again I am partial to vanilla although Jay Rob’s does make a tasty strawberry version). 100 calories and ZERO Fat, ZERO sugar an ZERO apartame, sucralose or artificial sweeteners!
Blend and drink slowly so as not to give you brain freeze.
Hungry-Girl’s The Microwave Scramble + Pita
It’s fast, it’s portable, and it has protein and carbs to satisfy you. Make one of these quickie scrambles-in-a-mug, stuff it inside a high-fiber or whole-wheat pita, and walk out the door.
For more Hungry-Girl Breakfast tips, click here.
The Hungry Girl Book
To get more tips from Hungry_Girl, read her book, Hungry Girl 1-2-3: The Easiest, Most Delicious, Guilt-Free Recipes on the Planet, by Lisa Lillien.
The new book, Hungry Girl 1-2-3, will help you make the world’s most delicious guilt-free appetizers, meals, snacks, desserts, etc., with practically no effort whatsoever! There are loads of crock-pot recipes, microwavable meals, HG’s famous “foil packs,” and more. Some are such a cinch, you won’t even have to turn on the oven or stove! Really.
With more than 200 recipes and two-ingredient “couples” to choose from, you’ll never be hungry again! Get ready to chew on:
* Crazy Pineapple Salmon Teriyaki (347 calories)
* Mom-Style Creamy Chicken ’n Veggies (307 calories)
* Queen-of-the-Castle Sliders (254 calories)
* Caramel Swirl Cream Puffs (121 calories)
* Corndog Millionaire Muffins (160 calories)
* Chili Cheese Dog Nachos (218 calories)
* Turkey & Veggie Meatloaf Minis (142 calories)
* Planet Hungrywood Sweet & Cap’n Crunchy Chicken (234 calories)
* Shrimp & Grits . . . for Hungry Chicks! (380 calories)
* Cannoli-Stuffed French Toast Nuggets (228 calories)
The book will be available starting March 30, 2010. To order your copy from Amazon.com for $10.79, click here.
Who IS Hungry Girl?
She’s not a nutritionist, she’s just hungry! Lisa Lillien is a number-one New York Times bestselling author and the creator of the Hungry Girl brand. She is the founder of http://www.hungry-girl.com, the phenomenal worldwide free daily email service that entertains and informs hungry people everywhere!
Related articles by Zemanta
- Hungry-Girl Ingredients I Can’t Bring Myself to Buy (zulkey.com)
- Fiber One Yogurt for Low Calorie Snacking & Coupon* (theplussizemommy.com)
- Product Recommendations! (prettybabies.blogspot.com)
- The (Supposed) Scourge Of Snacktime [Food Fights] (jezebel.com)