By Sue Shekut, Owner, Working Well Massage, Licensed Massage Therapist, Certified Wellness Coach, ACSM Personal Trainer
Dr. Bonny Flaster responded to my training query about getting ready for the Warrier Dash this fall. Her advice is spot on: combine strength training with balance training using a Bosu Balance Trainer. Her advice is here.
According to the Amazon product description: The Bosu Balance trainer helps you strengthen and coordinate several major muscle groups, including the muscles you don’t see. The Bosu targets your core muscles–the muscles around your abdominal and back area–while you perform a host of different workouts, from squats and bicep curls to lateral shoulder raises and hip extensions. As a result, you not only gain strength, trim, and tone, but also improve your balance and coordination along the way. In addition, Bosu training helps strengthen the mind, with thoughtful movement that requires the participant to not only be physically involved, but also “here and present” with the mind fully engaged. By combining physical and mental focus, Bosu training will boost your performance across a wide continuum of activities, including sports, recreation, and daily tasks.
The Bosu balance trainer–which measures 55 cm and comes in blue–comes with a foot pump and an exercise manual.
The Bosu System is available from Amazon for about $70. Click here for link.
Wii Fit Balance Training
For those that are not quite ready for the Bosu system, you can also start working on balance and flexibility with the Wii Fit. Wii Fit does not provide the instability of a Bosu “ball” but it does give you some great practice on maintaining your balance and coordination. And it has a fantastic yoga module for flexibility.
- Bosu Balls Are Ideal Pieces of Exercise Equipment for Busy People (fitandrite.wordpress.com)
- Got a Fitness Goal? Dr. Bonny Flaster Can Help! (workingwellresources.com)
- Another Way to Work With Intervals: Tabata (fitsugar.com)
- Use balance, or lose it (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Core Work: Twisted BOSU Plank (fitsugar.com)
- Gear Review: Gaiam Core Balance Kit (fitsugar.com)
- Gifting For the Home Gym (fitsugar.com)
- 3 Moves to Slimmer, Sexier Outer Thighs (self.com)