By Sue Shekut, Owner, Working Well Massage, Licensed Massage Therapist, Certified Wellness Coach, ACSM Personal Trainer
For those that want to experience a safe and clean beach, not far from the city of Chicago, look for farther than Naperville’s Centennial Beach!
Centennial beach is a combination swimming hole and swimming pool located in downtown Naperville. We walked alongside the fence surrounding the Beach and vowed to return in the daytime soon to swim and frolic in the cool water. Our nighttime photos can’t do the Beach justice so I am posting a few from the Naperville Parks website below.
Here is what Centennial Beach offers (from the Naperville Parks website):
• Water play features that add an element of fun and provide children with a convenient place to fill their buckets and cool off
• Shallow-end slide
• Almost six acres of fence-enclosed area, including four acres of grass and trees
• A large sand beach, located next to the shallow end, is perfect for toddlers and sandcastle buffs
• Award-winning, licensed lifeguards
• First aid/safety equipment on the premises
• Clean, supervised bathhouses with showers and coin lockers
• N.C.A.A./U.S.S.-approved diving complex: two one-meter boards and one three-meter board
• Plenty of free, off-street parking
• Playground equipment, and Frisbee® area
$6.00 for Naperville residents
$10 for non residents
After 5pm rates are reduced to $3 for Naperville residents and non residents alike!
The beach is open as follows until August 14:
Weekdays 11am to 8pm Open Swim
Weekends 9am to 10:55am Adult Float
Saturdays from 111am to 8pm Open Swim
Sundays from 11am to 6pm Open Swim.
For hours from August 15 to Sept 5, check the website schedule here.
Centennial Beach Address:
500 W. Jackson Ave.
Naperville, IL 60540
630.848.5092 (Memorial Day – Labor Day)
For more info on Centennial Beach including it’s history (it’s been in existence since 1931!) and rules, click here.
- Veggie Fest Chicago. August 13th-14th, 2011. (veggiefitness.wordpress.com)